Our desire is to do the same; to gather together for the preached word of God, and then scatter, taking the word with us; to take the gospel into our local businesses, homes, developments, schools, and workplaces. The Acts 8:4 outreach initiative unleashes the resources of the church into the hands of our members – to support the work of proclaiming the gospel and reaching out with the love and mercy of Jesus Christ.
How it works
The evangelism committee has set aside funds designated to cover member-driven outreach ideas. Any member or attender of Faith BFC can submit a proposal, requesting a grant for outreach. Small Group leaders and Ministry Team leaders can also apply for grants towards group-related outreaches. The application for the Acts 8:4 initiative can be found on the church website, under the Evangelism heading.
One example of this was our Harleysville Fair Fireworks Outreach. Randy Long had noticed that there were a number of people that would park in our parking lot to watch the fireworks during the Harleysville Fair. We organized a night of free hot dogs and treats and had a great night with our church family connecting with our neighbors that came to watch the fireworks.
What can I do?
Think of nearby service, mercy, and evangelism opportunities. Below are some ideas for the Acts 8:4 outreach initative:
- Food or water bottles to give-away downtown or at an event
- Service-project supplies (wood, drywall, cement, etc.)
- Evangelistic books and literature
- Reserving a church booth for Faith at your town’s event
- Paperback Bibles to give out through your campus ministry
- Starting a home-based outreach to other moms or kids in your development
- Giving out Gatorade at a soccer game
- Carnations to give out at a Nursing Home on Mother’s Day
- Evangelistic Bible study materials to host at your home or workplace, like
- Simply Christianity
- The God Who Saves
- Christianity Explored
- Wet-naps and mints or gum to give out at a restaurant festival
- Gospel tracts
- Be Creative